Let me highlight some of his remarks:
On his teaching quality policy
- I will strive for total student satisfaction by continually improving the coverage and presentation of my courses, stressing the insights and trends of a subject rather than mere facts.
My goal is to produce informed, enlightened and motivated students who will continue their learning process well beyond the duration of my courses.
On teaching & research – quoting Deming:
It seems to me that the prime requirement for a teacher is to possess some knowledge to teach. He who does no research possesses no knowledge and has nothing to teach… The only suitable judge of a teacher’s knowledge are his peers. The only objective criterion of knowledge is research worthy of publication — measured on some scale of contribution to knowledge, not by number of papers.
W. Edwards Deming
The American Statistician
Vol. 26 No. 1, February 1972
- If you have to tell people that you’re World Class, you aren’t.
Any comments ?? what do u think about the term ‘expert’ or in Bahasa: ‘pakar’?
- Should he or she be of high profile?
- Should he or she be frequently put him/ her self in the spotlight? mentioned in the newspapers, magazines, etc ?
- Should he or she regard him/herself ‘untouchable’ or having a ‘me-can-do-no-wrong’ attitude?